Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Abstract: The records of the Almshouse Ledger Collection represent the activities of the institutions under the purview of various city departments on Blackwell’s Island. Records in this collection date from 1758 to 1952, with the bulk of the records falling between 1832 and 1925. This collection represents a comprehensive, yet incomplete collection of materials produced by each department overseeing the Almshouses and their related entities. These records document the social service, cultural, medical...
Abstract: New York City government has played a role in promoting the health of its residents since 1866. This collection represents that function under the purview of the Department of Health, from 1928 to 1991. The records document the Department's wide-ranging operations through correspondence, reports, statistics, promotional material, memos and other records.
Subject Term Details
- Almshouse of the City of New York (1)
- New York (Colony). Overseers of the Poor, House of Correction, Workhouse and Poorhouse (1)
- New York (N.Y.). Board of Health (1)
- New York (N.Y.). Commissioners of the Almshouse and Bridewell (1)
- New York (N.Y.). Department of Health (1)
- New York (N.Y.). Department of Public Charities (1)
- New York (N.Y.). Department of Public Charities and Correction (1)
- New York (N.Y.). Department of Public Welfare (1)
- New York (N.Y.). Department of Welfare (1)
- New York (N.Y.). Health Services Administration (1)
- New York (N.Y.). The Almshouse Department (1)
- New York City Health and Hospitals Corporation (1)